About Autism and Agriculture
Animal Care Opportunity – Australian Pig Industry
SunPork Farms seeks 4 motivated individuals to fill Pig Care positions based in the Wasleys and Sheaoak Log regions of South Australia.
SunPork Farms believes that the integration of the specialist skills and attributes of people on the spectrum will have far-reaching consequences for SunPork Farms’ animals, its people and their communities. In particular;
- Life-changing opportunities for people with autism; and
- Optimal care for livestock.
If you love or have an interest in animals we encourage you to apply.
Reporting to the Unit Manager and supported by a career mentor, your responsibilities may include;
- Tending to monitoring, routine feeding and care of stock (i.e. the pigs);
- Assisting sows and piglets with farrowing (birth);
- Neonatal care of piglets and sows through to weaning;
- Maintaining a high quality environment for the welfare and well-being of stock;
- Cleaning accommodation pens, fittings and equipment;
- Caring for sick and/or injured stock; and
- Moving, drafting and weighing stock;
- Collecting and recording production data;
Your animal health career will be developed with on and off-farm training, supported by a mentor or buddy.
- Must have a diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum including Asperger Syndrome.
- Must be 16 years or over.
- Must have the right to work in Australia.
- Must be able to attend the entire 2 day workshop phase.
- Must be able to attend the entire 2 week assessment phase, which is paid.
- Must be able to live independently and live within an easy daily commute of Sheaoak Log or Wasleys, South Australia.
- Must be physically fit and able to cope with the physical demands of the role, which include working with animals and manual handling tasks including bending and lifting.
- Successful applicants will be required to undertake a medical examination to confirm fitness for work.
Residential and Travel Assistance – South Australia
Applicants for South Australian positions must live within an easy daily commute of Sheaoak Log or Wasleys. Assistance with travel to and from work may be available in the form of car-pooling. Support in finding local accommodation, settling into the community and maintaining an independent, healthy lifestyle will be provided.
Key Actions – Sheaoak Log and Wasleys, South Australia
- Applications open 1 October 2016
- Applications close 20 January 2017
- Notification of acceptance to workshop from 22 December 2016
- Attendance at workshop 16 and 17 February 2017
- Notification of acceptance to 3wk training program 17 February 2017
- Attendance at training program 21-23 February and 28 February-2 March 2017
- Notification of job offer 3 March 2017
- Start date at SunPork Farms 27 End March 2017